On this page:

What we do

The Older Adult, Rehabilitation and Allied Health Services (ORA) work across all areas of Capital and Coast DHB - inpatient, outpatient and community environments. 

There are three parts to the service and health professionals work together to treat patients.

Our team

The ORA team includes:

 are specialist doctors who are trained in the conditions that commonly affect older people as well as how the aging body’s needs change with respect to illness.

Physiotherapists are experts in movement and function.  They review what you need to assist with walking and provide equipment if needed as well as exercises to improve movement, pain, weakness or balance.  They will see you at home, in outpatients or in the gym depending on your needs.

Read more about physiotherapy

Occupational Therapists are experts in function.  They look at what you do during the day and what might help to achieve things you are struggling with.  They usually see you in your home environment to look at how you manage.

Read more about occupational therapy

Speech-language Therapists are experts in problems with speech and communication.  They are also experts in swallowing and may be able to help if you are having difficulties with eating and drinking (e.g. coughing and choking, hard to get food down).

Read more about speech language therapy

Dietitians are experts in nutrition and can give advice about food to help with your medical condition and advice on the foods to eat to keep you healthy.

Read more about dietetics

Social Workers provide support for you and your family.  They are able to provide information, advocacy and supportive counselling to get you and your family and whanau through difficult times as well as advice about your rights as a patient.

Read more about social work


Nurse Practitioners have additional training and are highly skilled to work with older people. Working alongside geriatricians they are able to assess, order tests and x rays, plan treatment and prescribe.

Liaison Nurses in the team are specially trained in conditions affecting older people and may be involved in your follow up to provide practical advice at home and provide feedback to your specialist or GP.

Needs Assessors are experts in arranging support for you.  They organise funding for help in the home or going to a rest home.  They are able to advise you on what sort of help you may qualify for or benefit from.



Last updated 1 September 2020.