On this page:

What we do

The endocrine system is a group of hormone producing glands. These control bodily functions such as metabolism, and body growth and imbalances in how these glands produce hormones can contribute to a variety of disorders.

Doctors who specialise in diseases that affect your hormones are called endocrinologists. The major areas endocrinologists work in are:

  • Thyroid dysfunction
  • Pituitary disorders
  • Adrenal conditions
  • Bone disease & osteoporosis
  • Neuroendocrine tumours 
  • Sex hormone imbalances
  • Disorders of growth & development
  • Gender affirming hormone therapy

The Diabetes and Endocrine Centre at Wellington Regional Hospital treats all adults with an endocrine problem. You may have an appointment at the hospital or our team may see you at a community clinic or at your GP practice. Children and adolescents are seen in the Paediatric Department.

Before your first appointment, you may be asked to undergo some tests before seeing the doctor in the clinic. This helps us diagnose your condition more quickly.

You will see either a specialist or a registrar (a doctor training to become a specialist who works under the supervision of a specialist).  There are also specialist nurses who may be involved with your appointment and ongoing treatment.

You may have ongoing follow-up in the clinic or have your treatment carried out by your GP with advice from the specialist.


Following your visit to the hospital, we’ll send a letter to your GP and referring doctor, summarising the result of the visit.  Letter content depends on the interpretation of test results and therefore may take two to four weeks to reach your GP.

Useful resources

Radioiodine Treatment 

Managing your condition

At your appointment, you will be given advice on managing your condition. This may involve taking regular medication.  In general, you will get your prescriptions from your GP. 

On occasion however, a new or changed medication is prescribed directly from the clinic or is recommended to your GP by letter after your visit.


You will be referred by your General Practitioner (GP) or other hospital specialist to an endocrinologist. Your referral will be prioritised (given a position on a list of other referrals) depending on the disease and its severity.

Contact Us

The Endocrine Clinic is on Level 5, Grace Neill Block, Wellington Regional Hospital. View Map

Phone: 04 8062140


Last updated 15 September 2020.