PETER NOEL LESLIE
MB CHB (NZ) 1956, MRACP 1960, MRCP (LOND) 1961, FRACP 1970, FRCP (LOND) 1977
Peter was House Surgeon and then Medical Registrar at Wellington Hospital in the years 1957 - 1959.
He then went to the UK for PG training, first to Birmingham where he was Medical Registrar in general medicine and cardiology at the General Hospital 1960 - 1961. Peter was then Registrar at the National Heart Hospital, London, 1961 - 1963
Returning to Wellington Hospital he was appointed Cardiologist, a position he held until retiring in 2000. Peter was Head of Cardiology 1979 - 1997, and was Clinical Leader, Cardiology and Cardiothoracic Surgery 1997 - 1999.
Peter's contribution to the development of cardiology at Wellington Hospital has been significant. He founded the first CCU in 1967. He pioneered many new techniques in the cardiac catheterisation lab including:
- transseptal catheterisation (Brockenbrough technique) 1963
- Zucker catheter pressure/electrogram study for Ebstein's Anomaly 1964
- Ear-piece dye dilution studies 1964
- first cineangiogram 1964
- balloon atrial septostomy 1969
- first selective coronary cineangiogram 1969
- first His-bundle electrogram 1972
- with Richard Thompson, first PTCA 18/6/86
- first coronary rotablator use 27/3/96
Peter performed the 1000th PTCA on 17/9/97.
Above all and at all times, Peter ascribed to clinical excellence.