Coincident with the opening of the King Edward VII Memorial Hospital in 1912, four new honorary posts were created - two physicians and two surgeons - to staff the new facility. In the advertisement for these posts, it was stated that the two honorary physicians were to be "Lady Physicians".
Below are listed first, Children's Physicians appointed during the years that the new children's hospital was in operation, and second, the Children's Surgeons. Where available, links to a mini-biography are provided. In general, prior to the 1960s these medical officers were not specifically trained in paediatrics or paediatric surgery, but there was one exception - Dr F Montgomery Spencer (q.v.).
Dr Spencer was the first Children's Physician to have received training in a children's hospital - the Boston Children's Hospital
For most of this period (1912 - 1988), those appointed as children's surgeons were general surgeons with little or no paediatric surgery training.
From 1940 - 1964, the majority of children's surgery was done by the Resident Surgeon
1987 saw the appointment of the first specialist paediatric surgeon, Mr Kevin Pringle, who trained in Melbourne, Chicago and Iowa before coming to Wellington. There he was appointed Professor at the School of Medicine and for his services to paediatric surgery, he was awarded the ONZM in 2015.
return to top of page