Capital and Coast District Health Board logo

The 1876 Toxward designs for a new hospital in Newtown did not include any designated ward space for sick children.  

The original Wellington Hospital in Newtown

From 1881, when the hospital opened, any child admitted was placed in one of the four adult wards.  

Within a few years the need for a children’s ward was recognised and plans were revealed in 1886, a year in which thirty six children under the age of ten years were admitted.

Last updated 2 March 2020.