Before a hospital was established in Wellington, the first European settlers had to make do with the services of Drs Johnston and Dorset, whose practice was based in the Medical Hall on Thorndon Quay just north of Barrett’s Hotel. This state of affairs would last until 1847.
The pages that follow give a pictorial history of the public hospital buildings in Wellington city, with commentary on hospital building needs and decisions made.
It goes without saying that the provision of an excellent health service is determined by the staff rather than the buildings. A history of all staff categories is not available but a detailed account of the senior medical staff is presented, together with a section on the senior nursing staff - Nursing Administration. A large section giving the history of the Wellington Hospital School of Nursing is under development.
Find out more
This section was created by Ron Easthope, honorary archivist, Wellington Hospital.
If you have any feedback or queries related to these pages, please contact Ron.