Capital and Coast District Health Board logo

By 1910 paediatric patients were looked after in a makeshift ward near the Seddon complex. (The original children’s ward was by now occupied by the Xray Department and the Matron's Quarters.) In March 1910, Charles Luke, the retiring Chairman of the Board of Trustees observed that "one of the most pressing needs is a Children's Hospital." Later that year, the Board asked the Mayor to call a public meeting to consider fund raising for a Children's Hospital.

A major campaign to raise the money was led by Mrs T M Wilford. Through the generosity of public donations plus a contribution from government, a new Children’s Hospital was completed in 1912. It was named the “King Edward VII Memorial Hospital for Children” and was officially opened on 14 February 1912. It was situated directly east of the main hospital corridor though for some time separate from it.

new childrens hospital

photograph courtesy Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of NZ, Te Puna Matauranga o Aotearoa

Such was the success of the public fund-raising, there was a surplus of money.  £817 was therefore spent on installing a wonderful series of Royal Doulton tile panels inside the childrens' wards, two of which are seen in this photo.

inside childrens wardphotograph courtesy Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of NZ, Te Puna Matauranga o Aotearoa
Last updated 16 October 2016.