Referrals to an outpatient clinic at either Wellington or Kenepuru hospitals must come via your GP (family doctor) or specialist.
Your appointment letter will tell you where to go and the doctor you are seeing.
Most outpatient clinics are free for New Zealand residents. If you are not sure if you are eligible, check out our eligibility guidelines.
If you can’t keep your appointment, please phone and tell us as soon as possible so we can offer the appointment to someone else. This helps keep waiting lists shorter and gives someone else a chance to get the treatment they need. If you miss your appointment you may have to wait some time for another one.
Contact our Booking Centre if you need to change your appointment
Phone: 04 806 0992
What to bring with you:
- Your letter from the hospital, health centre or doctor.
- Any related X-rays and scans.
- All your medicines, including any natural or non-prescription medicines you are currently taking (or bring a list of them with you).
- Your glasses, hearing aid, mobility aids (if used).
Before you leave the hospital or health centre, check you have:
- Your follow up appointment (if you need one).
- Your medications, and prescription for new medicines.
- Information about your care once you get home.
- Referral to any community services you may need, such as the district nurse or Meals on Wheels.
- A number you can call us on if you have questions or concerns.
- All your personal belongings.
If you need blood tests
Blood tests can be done at your local hospital. Our laboratories are open Monday to Friday and you don’t need an appointment. You can also have the test done at a private laboratory.
Radiology and x-rays
If you need an x-ray you can have this taken at Wellington or Kenepuru hospitals. All other types of radiology, such as scans, are taken at Wellington Hospital. Radiology will contact you with an appointment if you need a scan or x-ray.
If you have had related x-rays or scans done before, please bring them with you so we can compare them with the new ones we take.