Regulations under the Nurses and Midwives Act 1945, provided for the training and examination of male nurses, the training and syllabus to be on similar lines to that of nursing aids.
A total of seventeen male nurses graduated from Wellington Hospital in the period 1948 – 1954.
The Wellington Hospital Board established a training school for male nurses at Silverstream Hospital in 1953, but this was not totally successful. Student male nurses complained of sub-standard tuition. Between 1955 – 1957, nine men graduated from the Silverstream school.
Thereafter small numbers were trained (separate from female students) at Wellington Hospital, the last to graduate being in 1977.
Thereafter, male and female student nurses were integrated into the same three-year general training programme.