Wellington Hospital was the first in New Zealand to have urology recognised as a specialty. In 1924, the Board appointed Robert Campbell-Begg as Honorary Urologist and Edward Joseph as Honorary Assistant Urologist. Edward Joseph emigrated in 1928 to Jerusalem. Campbell-Begg brought zeal and determination to the post, but in 1937 he too emigrated, to South Africa. Patrick Treahy was appointed in 1930, remaining until his retirement in 1960. Bruce Rennie joined Pat Treahy in 1936, and Bruce retired in 1964.
Humprhey Gowland was appointed in 1953 and provided excellent leadership and skill until his untimely death in 1981, A Fergus Ferguson joined the team in 1960, and headed the unit from 1982 until his retirement in 1992. Donald Urquhart-Hay was appointed in 1966, and retired in 1994.
In 1928 the newly opened ward block immediately to the east of the new front block, comprised Wards 8 , 9 , and 10. Wards 9 and 10 were used to accommodate male and female urological patients. The Urological Outpatient Clinic comprised a small waiting room, surgeon's room and a room for cystoscopy. When the 210-block opened in 1944, Urology Outpatients moved to a ground floor wing of that block. Inpatients were also moved to the new block, into what was originally named Ward 23, later to become Ward 4. In time, Urology Outpatients had to share their space with a Chest Clinic. When the Nurses Preliminary Training School vacated the northern end of the Urology Outpatient wing in 1973, that space was converted into a Urology Theatre. These facilities remained the home of the Urology Unit until 2004, when the 210-block was demolished.