An Xray tube was in operation at the Hospital by 1903, housed in a tool-shed and operated by Dr Ewart. In 1903, Dr Robert A Cameron commenced practice in Wellington and he had his own Xray plant. He gave advice to Dr Ewart on the emerging technology, and in 1906, the Hospital purchased new Xray equipment. Dr Cameron was appointed Honorary Radiologist in 1912, by which time the Xray equipment was housed in the old children's ward, this having been vacated when the new Children's Hospital was opened.
Dr Cameron resigned in 1921 and in his place, Dr D F Myers who was appointed as part-time salaried radiologist. By 1922, the department was too small, and when the front block opened in 1928, the Xray Department transferred to the ground floor of the Laboratory block, previously occupied by the Outpatients Department and Dispensary.
Dr Myers resigned in 1933. In 1938, Dr N F C Hill was appointed as the first full-time Radiologist. He was joined by Dr O C Moller as assistant Radiologist in 1942, but with the opening of the Hutt Hospital in 1944, Dr Moller moved out there. Dr C P Feltham was appointed Radiologist at Wellington Hospital in 1945. When Dr Hill became part-time in 1946, Dr Moller was in charge of both Wellington and Hutt Hospital Xray services, though he remained based at Hutt.
Dr Dennys Gillies was appointed part-time Radiologist in 1947, and Dr A Wilson joined the staff as full-time Radiologist in 1952, and Dr Guy Beetham was also appointed that year. Dr McMyn joined the staff in 1953. Dr Feltham resigned in 1955, and later that year, Dr Beetham moved to Palmerston North, and Dr McMyn moved to Green Lane Hospital in Auckland. John Boyd-Wilson was appointed in 1956, and Dr Graeme Sim in 1959, both on a part-time basis. Dr Buick had been appointed for 4 months in 1957, and he returned to the staff in 1961. Dr John Cairney was appointed in 1960, moved to Palmerston North in 1961, returning in 1962.
From 1928 - 1948, there were just 2 radiographic rooms in the Department, Rooms A & B. In 1948, Room C was created as a screening room. In 1955, Room B was subdivided, creating Room D, a small room for chest Xrays only. Room E was created in ground floor space at the south end of the "Matron's Block" in 1958, and was used as the cardiac catheterisation room.