The first Gastroscopist at Wellington Hospital was Dr Alan Tennent. Although he was employed as an Anaesthetist, from 1938 he was paid £2/2/- per gastroscopy examination. Dr Allen Erenstrom, General Physician, was appointed Gastroscopist from 1956 - 1966.
With the appointment of Dr Brian Scobie in 1966, the hospital gained the first physician who had been formally trained in gastroenterology. He introduced the first 'gastrocamera' techniques. Dr Warren Austad was appointed the second Gastroenterologist in 1972, and in 1975, Eru Pomare joined the team with his appointment as Senior Lecturer in Gastroenterology.