The number of non-resident stipendiary medical staff increased during this period. By 1937, they comprised a Pathologist, a Tuberculosis Officer, an Orthopaedic Surgeon, Radiologists, a Radiotherapeutist, Anaesthetists, and VD Officers.
In 1922, a new post was created to assist the Medical Superintendent by taking over responsibility for the 'medical patients'. Initially, this role was essentially that of 'Medical Registrar'. In 1928, the position title was changed to 'Medical Registrar and Assistant Medical Superintendent' but in 1933, it was decided that this dual role was too much for one person. The 'Assistant Medical Superintendent' position eventually developed into the 'Director of Clinical Services'. Until 1939, one of the roles of the Assistant Medical Superintendent was to "exercise general supervision over the workings of the Casualty and Outpatient Departments".
In 1931, a formal investigation into the organisation of the medical staffing was undertaken by the Board. Existing medical staff, together with input from the local branch of the BMA, recommended that there be three main Divisions of Staff - Medical, Surgical and Gynaecological, and Pathological. Each Division was to have a number of Departments. Details of this recommended structure:
|Surgical Division||Medical Division||Pathology Division|
|General Surgery & Gynaecology with sub-departments of Neurosurgery, Plastic Surgery||General Medicine||General Pathology|
|Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat||Pulmonary Tuberculosis||Bacteriology|
|Genitourinary Surgery including Gonorrhea||Syphilology||Biochemistry|
|Orthopaedics||Cardiology||Records and Research|
|Anaesthetics||Dermatology and Actinotherapy|
|Surgical Outpatients||Medical Outpatients|
Most of these recommendations were implemented over the next few years, though Radiology became autonomous, and the Surgical and Medical Outpatient departments didn't survive long. The 'Records and Research Department' was never created.
In the 1930s, another new category of staff appointment was created for some services. That was the position of 'Clinical Assistant', which was rather like a senior registrar position of today. Such posts were established in Eyes and ENT, and in Orthopaedics.