If you want to start or discuss gender affirming hormone therapy, the first step is to visit your GP. Currently most GPs in Wellington will refer you to the Endocrine Department if you are 16 or over. If you are under 16, refer to the section on Medical Care during Puberty. While waiting for your first appointment with the Endocrine Department, your GP can organise baseline blood tests. If you intend to start oestrogen-based hormone therapy it is helpful to ask your GP for a referral to Fertility Associates for fertility preservation if this is something you would like to do. If you have monthly bleeding and would like to stop this, you can talk to your GP about options for menstrual cessation.

If you are referred to the Endocrine Department to begin hormones, you will later be discharged back to your GP for ongoing hormone therapy. Your ongoing regular repeat prescriptions will be provided by your GP.

Other referrals your GP can make:

  • Fertility Associates for Fertility preservation options
  • Voice therapy through the Speech and Language Services at Wellington or Hutt Hospital
  • Gender affirming physiotherapy services
  • Counselling or mental health services
  • Gender affirming genital surgery


Permanent Hair Removal 

Your GP can write a letter diagnosing you with dysphoria resulting from excess facial hair and prescribe permanent hair removal as a treatment. This may qualify you for the Work and Income disability allowance. You will also need to provide a quote for the cost of permanent facial hair removal from a laser or electrolysis provider. 

Last updated 21 December 2022.