Natural disasters can occur at any time so it is important to have a personal emergency kit available. Include at least 2 to 4 weeks' supply in your kit and check the expiry dates every 3 months.
Checklist: what to include in your emergency kit
- Oral medication
- Blood glucose strips and meter
- Optium blood ketone test strips and meter (Type 1 Diabetes)
- Spare meter batteries
- Insulin – long/short acting. Replace the insulin every 2-3 weeks to avoid it expiring
- Syringes / insulin pen and pen needles
- Hypo treatment – e.g. Glucose tablets and muesli bar
- Glucagon hypokit (Type 1 Diabetes)
- Cartridges/reservoirs/ Infusion sets with cannulas (Insulin pumps)
- Alcohol wipes or IV/Skin Prep/tape/spare pump batteries (Insulin pumps)
- An up-to date list of your medications, insulin and doses
- An up-to date list of your basal rates, carb ratios and ISF and targets (Insulin pumps)
- Emergency phone numbers – diabetes nurse and/or physician, GP, pharmacy, pump representative, next of kin
Download this information as a poster (PDF format).