Professional development is an important workforce focus across primary, secondary and tertiary services.
Our professional development process aims to give you all of the information you need, in the order it needs to be completed in so you can get the most from your professional development opportunities, gain funding for development, and manage your career pathway.
Step 1: Career Planning and performance apprasials
The Ministry of Health and CCDHB require all health professionals and staff to have a career plan in place. A career plan reflects your values, choices, goals and actions and is part of your professional development.
The Midwifery Performance Appraisal and Development form is used by midwives to record their goals and action plan. This document is used across the 6 DHBs of the central region.
Step 2: Midwifery Quality and Leadership programme (QLP)
The Quality and Leadership Programme (QLP) is the national career pathway for employed midwives which is easily transferrable between DHBs.
There are three domains of practice
- Competent –A midwife who is competent to practise but needs to develop skills and experience to function effectively in the role. This includes new graduates, new staff members, return to practice midwives and overseas midwives with conditions on their practising certificates. Midwives are encouraged to progress to the confident domain after their first year of practice.
- Confident – A midwife with the necessary skills and experience to function confidently within their employed practice area. Midwives on the confident domain will have a minimum of 12 months’ clinical practice experience and no conditions on their annual practising certificate.
- Leadership – A midwife with significant midwifery experience who acts as a role model and resource within the maternity service. These midwives take a lead role in quality improvement, innovation and practice development within their practice area.
Applying for domains
All midwives will be appointed to the competent domain until they decide to submit their portfolio for progression to the confident or leadership domain.
Progression and revalidation
- Confident – to remain on the confident domain the midwife must ensure that she has a current performance appraisal. The midwife’s portfolio is revalidated at the time of her annual performance appraisal.
- Leadership – to remain on the leadership domain the midwife must ensure that she has an annual performance appraisal. The midwife’s portfolio must be resubmitted to the Clinical Midwife Specialist for revalidation every three years.
QLP Portfolio days
Clause 27.7 of the MECA and Part Five (h) of the MERAS MECA entitles staff working on preparing a portfolio, obtaining or maintaining skill levels associated with the QLP to additional leave in order to undertake research or study associated with meeting the QLP requirements...(Confident 1 day p.a., leadership 2 days p.a.) This means you can take leave to obtain or maintain your QLP level. The days are for research or study (including writing up your research or study) associated with meeting QLP requirements and does not include the preparation of the actual portfolio.
Who to contact
For advice or to submit a completed portfolio contact the Clinical Midwife Specialist, on 04 385 5999 extension 80895 or 021 733 695.
- QLP Revision November 2014
- QLP Application Form
- QLP Assessment Form Confident Domain
- QLP Assessment Form Leadership Domain
- QLP Leadership Peer Review Form
- QLP Leadership Activity Report
- Generic Midwife Role Description
- Midwife Performance Appraisal Form
Step 3: Professional development funding
Midwives can apply for professional development funding (incl. MERAS CPD and access scholarship links).
Read more about what is available
Step 4: Post-graduate study for midwives
Midwives who are interested in furthering their education through post graduate study can apply for professional funding through the New Zealand College of Midwives.
Read more about what is available