The preceptor workshop is designed for nurses who are working towards or who have achieved proficient level on their Professional Development and Recognition Programme (PDRP) and have been nominated by their Charge Nurse Manager to fulfil this role. It is a Capital and coast District Health Board (CCDHB) expectation that all nurses who have attained proficient level on the PDRP attend the preceptor workshop and are actively involved in preceptorship within their clinical area. (Please refer to preceptor policy on Capital Doc.).
The one day workshop meets the National Frame work requirements for precepting graduate nurses and is run collaboratively with Hutt Valley District Health Board. The workshop integrates theory and practice and enables nurses to confidently fulfil their preceptor role through clinical teaching and assessment within their own area of practice.
It is an expectation of the Nursing Council of New Zealand (NCNZ) (2007) that all nurses provide preceptorship as part of their on-going practice certificate requirements.
- Nurses who are working towards or have achieved proficient level on their PDRP
- Nurses who have been nominated by their Charge Nurse Manager/ Team leader to fulfil this role
- In the primary health and Aged and residential sector all nurses will have access to DHB preceptor programmes to support student and NETP graduate need as indicated by individual Memorandum of Understanding.
On completion of the workshop the preceptor will:
- Define the word preceptor and have a clear understanding of the preceptor role
- Discuss the preceptor policy and its implications for the preceptee/preceptor
- Identify the characteristics of adult learning and adult teaching and learning styles
- Demonstrate critical thinking
- Provide assessment and feedback utilising NCNZ competencies
- Recognise and demonstrate the core principles of effective communication
- Discuss conflict management resolution strategies
Adapted from Preceptoring for Excellence National Framework (2010)
This is an introductory one day Workshop for Preceptors. CCDHB nurses please register through Connect Me and non-CCDHB nurses via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Class size limited to 25. Tea and coffee provided.
Dates and venues
Pre reading and learning styles
Prior to the workshop you are expected to identify your preferred learning style. To do this answer the questionnaire at the following website. www.vark-learn.com/english/page.asp?p=advice Click on VARK printable questionnaire to complete and score. Please bring this with you on the day.
Workshop facilitator and presenter
Kathy Trezise, Nurse Educator
Director of Nursing and Midwifery Office
DDI: 04 806 0608
Contacting tertiary education providers
Unless there is an urgent issue please do not contact tutors directly. If you do need to contact a tutor please contact the nurse educator for clinical placement for the most suitable person.