This page contains information about professional development, funding and scholarships for education, CPD, APC and MSR.
Continued Professional Development (CPD) Fund for MERAS Members
For MERAS (Midwifery Employee and Advisory Services) members, a Continued Professional Development (CPD) Fund of $1,000 will be available each financial year (from 1 July to 30 June). This fund enables midwives to meet approved professional development relevant to your individual professional development requirements including:
- Tertiary education courses, papers and programmes (applications for post graduate funding should in the first instance be made to Health Workforce New Zealand for funding administered by NZCOM)
- External provider workshops or courses
- Conference registration
- Costs related to textbooks, travel and accommodation can be considered.
To access this funding, please follow the attached process.
Midwifery Standards Review (MSR)
As per the MERAS MECA, employed midwives can claim back any associated costs related to MSR including a minimum of four hours for preparation and attendance of the review.
The same entitlements are able to be made by midwives who are employed under the NZNO MECA.
- At Hutt contact the midwifery educator to complete an MSR request form.
- At Wellington, Kenepuru or Kāpiti book MSR online via the NZCOM website.
- Access local unit statistics for reflections through the yearly Maternity Quality & Safety Programme annual report online, or through your education team.
- Prepare for and attend MSR.
- At Wellington, Kenepuru or Kāpiti email your manager and request that the additional hours be added to your kiosk. NB: We require proof of payment and attendance prior to reimbursement.
- At Hutt add relevant hours to your timesheet for preparation and attendance (up to four hours). Complete a reimbursement form for any additional costs available on the intranet under the forms section.
Annual Practicing Certificate (APC) Reimbursement Process
Employed midwives can reclaim the cost of their APC as follows:
Log into MyMCANZ and print off your receipt
At Hutt hospital - give your receipt and reimbursement form to your manager. Search for ‘Staff Reimbursement of Expenses Form’ on the intranet
At Wellington hospital – give your receipt to your manager.
Scholarships available across New Zealand
Scholarship fund for Capital Coast NZNO midwives
All Hospital and Health Service (HHS) nurses and NZNO midwives (employed by Capital and Coast) including permanent and casual staff, actively participating on the PDRP or QLP may use scholarship fund and PDRP/QLP funding towards professional development. This legacy fund was set up prior to 1996 from a Nursing and Midwives Collective Employment Agreement.