Capital and Coast District Health Board logo

What is happening?


In July 2017, Wellington resident and benefactor Mark Dunajtschik announced he would build and gift a new $50 million Children’s Hospital to Wellington.


Mr Dunajtschik is an experienced builder and will manage the construction of the new hospital with his property partner Grant Corleison.

Capital & Coast District Health Board (CCDHB) has been working closely with the benefactor’s team to develop detailed plans and specifications for the new building. The DHB will own, operate and maintain the new Wellington Children’s Hospital, once it is completed in mid-2021.

 

What is being built?


The new hospital will be around 7,000m², and spread over three floors. It will include:

  • 50 inpatient hospital beds, as well as social and family areas
  • Outpatient consultation rooms
  • Staff and administration areas.

 

Where is it being built?


The hospital will be located on the northern end of the Wellington Regional Hospital campus in Newtown. It will be built in front of the Riddiford building. There will be a link bridge connecting the children’s hospital to the existing hospital.

 

What services will be located in the new hospital?


Existing child hospital and outpatient services will move into the new hospital. The services and staffing levels will remain the same; however the quality of care we provide will be enhanced.

 

Children requiring emergency care, intensive care, radiology, surgery and other specialist services will continue to receive this care in Wellington Regional Hospital.

What sorts of benefits will the new facility provide?

The new children’s services and inpatient facilities will offer a number of benefits, including:
 

·         Improved quality and experience of care for children and family/whānau

·         A more child and adolescent friendly environment with ability for a parent/caregiver to stay by every bedside

·         A larger, more functional unit for observing and assessing children

·         Co-location of children’s services in one facility to improve coordination and teamwork

·         Increased ensuite bathrooms, and greater numbers of single bedrooms, to better support patient care.

Why do we need a new hospital?

 

The existing Wellington Children’s Hospital building is nearly 30 years old and is no longer fit for purpose. It is cramped with inadequate clinical areas, no dedicated areas for families, and insufficient isolation facilities.

 

Because there is not enough room in the existing building, children are often cared for across the Wellington Regional Hospital campus which can be stressful for family/whānau.

 

The new hospital will bring inpatient services and outpatient clinics under one roof and allow for the integration of services, as well as encouraging clinical collaboration.

How much will it cost?


The cost of the building works, including furniture and fittings, will be approximately $84 million.

 

Preparatory works on the site, including demolishing existing buildings on the site and drainage and stormwater works, is expected to cost an additional $10 million.

Some reconfiguration work on the Wellington Regional Hospital building will also be required for the link bridge that will connect the new children’s hospital to the main hospital building.

When will it be completed?


The new hospital is expected to open by early 2021.

Who does Wellington Children’s Hospital cater for?


Wellington Children’s Hospital is an important part of New Zealand’s specialist children’s hospital network. They support babies to adolescents (0-18 years) with medical conditions and paediatric surgery.

 

Specialist paediatric surgery is only performed at five hospitals in the country – one of which is Wellington. We provides paediatric surgical services for children from the Capital and Coast region, as well as children from Hutt Valley, Wairapapa, Manawatu, Wanganui, Hawkes Bay, Nelson and Marlborough.

 

Around 4,000 children per year are admitted to the child health services at Wellington Regional Hospital. Around 80 percent of the children live in the Capital & Coast DHB area; the other 20 percent are children from the lower North Island. Just over half of these children are under five years.

 

More than 5,000 children attend nearly 38,000 outpatient appointments at Wellington Regional Hospital every year.

What will the current children’s hospital building be used for once the new building is opened?

We aim to transition services to the new building in early 2021, after which the existing children’s hospital will be repurposed.

What will the new hospital be called?

This is yet to be confirmed. We are working with a range of stakeholders – who are helping inform the work we’re doing on the naming, theming and branding of the new children’s hospital – while acknowledging the very generous donation of benefactor Mark Dunajtschik. 

 

 

Last updated 9 October 2019.