A post office was opened at the hospital on 16 February 1949, offering full postal and banking services.  The occasion was marked by the issue of commemorative first day covers.

 

The post office was located off the main hospital corridor opposite ward 2 as shown in the photograph below.  

photograph courtesy Wellington Hospital photographic archive

The staff nurse on the left is entering the post office, while the one on the right is collecting mail from one of the locked boxes accessible from the main corridor.

 

The Post Office remained in operation until 1989.  The last day - 10 february 1989 was marked by the issuing of a commemorative first day cover - see below.

all first day covers courtesy  Andrew McNiven

 

Last updated 28 April 2022.