Capital and Coast District Health Board logo

During this period a number of successive Matrons acquired Diplomas of Nursing which were designed to better equip the holders for positions of responsibility.

Staff numbers increased fairly rapidly as can be seen in this photograph from the 1930s.

1930s staff

From 1944 after the opening of Hutt Hospital, Matron-in-Chief. This title indicated over-arching responsibility for the Wellington Hospital Board's institutions, and generally there were simultaneously employed Matron's of each of these institutions, in some instances having the title of Principal Nurse.

Last updated 19 January 2017.