The Thorndon Hospitals
Wellington's First Hospital
The first hospital in Wellington was the Colonial Hospital, erected in Pipitea Street, Thorndon, on a site now occupied by Wellington Girls' College. It was the first of four such hospitals commissioned by Governor George Grey, the others situated in Auckland, New Plymouth and in Wanganui. Governor Grey insisted that each hospital be made available to both Maori and Pakeha. The land for the Wellington Colonial Hospital was gifted by local Maori.
The Colonial Hospital opened 15 September,1847. It had 16 beds. The Colonial Administration appointed Dr John Patrick Fitzgerald as the hospital's physician. Dr Fitzgerald formed an administration committee which included Maori members.
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6