|1881 - 1885 : Medical staffing of the new hospital|
At the time of the opening of the hospital in Newtown, the medical staff comprised the resident Surgeon
Dr G G Gillon, who was the only salaried medical officer, plus two honorary surgeons, the
Hon. Dr M S Grace and
Dr H W Diver,
Dr J Keyworth replaced Dr Collins as honorary physician in 1882. The honorary medical staff was augmented with the appointment in 1886 of an ophthalmic surgeon. However, there was some controversy over this appointment. Dr Kemp, who had been an honorary physician when the hospital opened in Newtown, had taken leave because of poor health in 1882, and was replaced by Dr J Henry. In 1883, Dr Francis Hutchinson was appointed honorary physician. In 1884 Dr Kemp travelled to England, his health improved and he obtained a clinical assistant post at the London Eye Hospital at Moorefields. He returned to Wellington in April 1885. As a member of the Hospital Board of Trustees, he recommended the establishment of the ophthalmic surgeon post, and was himself appointed to that position. The BMA condemned the appointment (as an 'inside job') and Dr Kemp resigned just two months after being appointed.
The Board of Trustees Chairman attempted to justify the appointment by stating that Dr Kemp
had been the only applicant, but this was hotly challenged by Dr T Cahill who asserted that he had also applied.