|An evolving Staff Structure : 1921 - 1940|
Dr D Macdonald Wilson, Medical Superintendent returned from extended study leave in the USA and Canada in
1923. In his report to the Board, in respect of medical staffing he wrote:
The assistant staff did not have any beds of their own, and were required to seek the permission of their senior colleague before admitting one of their own patients. The first assistant surgeons and physicians were appointed in 1924. Thus there was a significant increase in honorary medical staff, and this system of the pairing of seniors with assistants continued until the 1960s.
Honorary senior medical staff were required to retire after 20 years service or upon reaching the age of 60yrs. An interesting regulation was in force for some years, namely that, 'if two or more medical practitioners are in partnership (ie private practice), only one shall be eligible for election to the honorary staff'.
In 1931, a formal investigation into the organisation of the medical staffing was undertaken by the Board. Existing medical staff, together with input from the local branch of the BMA, recommended that there be three main Divisions of Staff - Medical, Surgical and Gynaecological, and Pathological. Each Division was to have a number of Departments. For details of this recommended structure,
In the 1930s, another new category of staff appointment was created for some services. That was the position of 'Clinical Assistant', which was rather like a senior registrar position of today. Such posts were established in Eyes and ENT, and in Orthopaedics.