|1941 - 1960 : an era with a stressful beginning|
By 1941 the hospital and its staff were under extraordinary stresses. Hospital overcrowding was extreme; there had been a growing bed shortage for a number of years. Plans to embark on a major new building programme were commenced in 1935, but the project was delayed by controversy over rising costs, and with the onset of WW2, a critical shortage of building materials. Construction of a much scaled-down ward block - the 210 bed block - was begun in 1941, but not completed until 1944. A temporary ward - Ward 20 - was hastily erected, as were two military wards - Wards 21 and 22.
The outbreak of WW2 had a major impact on hospital staffing. Thirty members of the senior medical staff were
absent on overseas service for varying periods of time, typically three - four years. This created a major increase
in workload for those remaining at the hospital. A number of relieving staff were appointed, in many cases from
the general practice area. A significant number of junior medical staff also served in the War, resulting not only
in a shortage of medical manpower at the hospital but also interruption of career development. On the other hand,
a number of careers were determined by war service, especially in the surgical area.
The next pages list all staff appointed between 1941 and 1960