|1921 - 1940 : Medical staff structure, appointments and tenure|
Methods of appointment of honorary medical staff had changed little for over 40 years.
Appointments were made by the Hospital Board every two years, and there was no certainty of reappointment.
The Board retained the sole right to make all appointments, but agreed to the concept of having one or more advisors involved in the selection process. By 1932, a Medical Appointments Committee had been established, comprising the Chairman of the Board, another Board member, the Medical Superintendent, the Pathologist, and representatives of the Colleges of Surgeons and Physicians. Any recommendations made by this committee were subject to approval by the full Board.
The number of non-resident stipendiary medical staff increased during this period. By 1937, they comprised a Pathologist, a Tuberculosis Officer, an Orthopaedic Surgeon, Radiologists, a Radiotherapeutist, Anaesthetists, and VD Officers.
In 1922, a new post was created to assist the Medical Superintendent by taking over responsibility for the 'medical patients'. Initially, this role was essentially that of 'Medical Registrar'. In 1928, the position title was changed to 'Medical Registrar and Assistant Medical Superintendent' but in 1933, it was decided that this dual role was too much for one person. The 'Assistant Medical Superintendent' position eventually developed into the 'Director of Clinical Services'. Until 1939, one of the roles of the Assistant Medical Superintendent was to "exercise general supervision over the workings of the Casualty and Outpatient Departments".