|1901 - 1920 : Senior medical staff appointments|
The beginning of the 20th century saw the opening of the Victoria Operating Theatre block,
seen in the photograph. This provided vastly improved conditions for operations undertaken by Dr Ewart and the
Honorary Surgeons. Unlike his predecessors, Dr Ewart was an active surgeon, and his skills were respected
by his colleagues and much appreciated by his patients.
In 1912, the King Edward VII Memorial Children's Hospital was opened, providing not only purpose-built wards for childen, but an operating theatre as well. Staff numbers were increased appropriately with the creation of four new honorary posts - two surgeons and two physicians. It is of interest to note that when the Board advertised for the two honorary physicians, they specificied "Lady Physicians". Thus, the first female senior medical staff at the hospital were appointed, Dr Agnes Bennett and Dr Daisy Platts-Mills.
The outbreak of WW1 resulted in disruption to hospital services, with a number of the honorary staff leaving
to serve overseas. One physician, Dr Alexander Tolhurst was killed in action
in France, and Dr Charles Begg, honorary surgeon to the Children's Hospital, died in London
of complications from influenza soon after the armistice.